Don’t get me wrong–I love my iPhone 4S and all things Apple, but I don’t really see the need to throw down 2 hundy or more on the latest technology when mine works perfectly. That’s not to say the iPhone 5 isn’t badass (and if someone wants to buy me one, I will gladly take it), but there are plenty of other things out there more exciting to me than a 4-inch retina display. (And knowing Apple, they’ll put out an iPhone 5S in a few months just to be a-holes).
The five products I’ve chosen aren’t just under $200 each–they’re under $200 ALL TOGETHER. And they’re game changers when it comes to beauty, so you’re getting the best bang for your buck. Plus, they’ll be working their magic long after the iPhone 6.5 comes out.
1. Peter Thomas Roth Laser-Free Resurfacing Kit: Want smoother, brighter, younger looking skin, but can’t exactly spring for laser resurfacing at the moment? Join the club. This kit includes a serum, exfoliating scrub, and moisturizing gel-cream formulated with dragon’s blood complex (whaaa?) and other key ingredients proven to improve your skin and undo damage in just a couple weeks. With a gajillion products out there BSing about being a face lift in a bottle, Peter Thomas Roth is a line you can definitely trust to do what it says (I know from experience). $75, available online and at Sephora
2. Chanel Le Vernis Nail Colour in Vertigo: They nailed it again. I (and beauty editors/bloggers everywhere) am dying over this new fall color. It’s dark and vampy, but a trendier alternative to black, gray, and brown hues. And we all know with Chanel polishes, you get what you pay for–it goes on ridiculously smooth, lasts forever, and is guaranteed to grab compliments. You can skip the mani and DIY when you have a polish this powerful. $26, available online and at Chanel counters
3. Remington Pearl Ceramic Styling Wand: When it comes to an affordable option that does the trick as well as the $200+ guys, this is it. Wands make it easy to create red carpet-worthy loose waves or spiral curls, even if you have the hair styling abilities (and patience) of a 6-year-old. $21 on Amazon and available at Target, Wal-Mart, and various drug stores
4. Diorshow Iconic Mascara: Diorshow was created for the runways, which means if you wear it, you’ll look like a model (ish). But seriously, no other mascara can compare to its dramatic lengthening, thickening, long-lasting effects that can usually only be achieved by a professional makeup artist. The Iconic is especially known for its curling abilities, so you can skip the eyelash curler, which weakens and/or pulls out your precious lashes. $28.50, available at Sephora and Dior counters
5. Rebecca Minkoff Cheetah iPhone case: Give your iPhone 4 or 4S a designer makeover with Rebecca Minkoff’s super fun, black and coral cheetah print case. With a hot covering like this, your phone is a 10 (even if it’s not a 5). $48, available online and in select stores, including Nordstrom
Let’s do the math. $75 + $26 + $21 + $28.50 + $48 = $198.50
You make the call.