I have been on the hunt for the perfect mascara since birth. Okay, since high school. I’ve spent hours applying, removing, and reapplying, dropped more cash than I’d like to admit at Sephora and Bloomingdale’s, and if I’m talking to someone who has even remotely long/thick lashes, I ask what she uses. I have one obsession that I think is absolutely the best of the best, but all the runners-up are top-notch. There are no drugstore cheapies on this list because mascara is something I believe adheres to the “You get what you pay for” policy, so if you’re only down with $6 Maybelline, then you’re not going to be down with
O.P.P. this blog entry. Yeah, you know me.
1. Urban Decay Lush Lash ($20): All hail Urban Decay! No seriously, bow down. This mascara is hands-down the best I have ever used. It lengthens like no other and is infused with a growth serum that actually helps your lashes grow longer over time. Sound like BS? Well, I’ve been using it for a month and totally see a difference. The new-fangled brush ensures there’s no clumping, and the mascara stays put, but comes off easily when you need it to. But my very favorite thing about Lush Lash is that it looks awesome with just one coat. I’m serious. You can layer it up when you go out, but for daytime, you’ll get long, natural-looking lashes with just a couple quick swipes.
Best for: Length, separation, GROWTH!
2. Trish McEvoy Lash Curling Mascara ($30): If you want a foolproof, no-smudge insurance policy, Trish is your girl. The tubular formula dries instantly and forms “tubes” around the lashes to stay put until you take it off, so it’s especially ideal for your bottom lashes. You get length, volume, and curl so you can ditch the curler (which you should anyway!).
Best for: Curl, wear
3. Chanel Inimitable ($30): This is the closest to Urban Decay because of the similar brush that delivers length, volume, and separation with no clumps. Celebrity makeup artists swear by this and it’s truly top-notch (duh, it’s Chanel). It also looks fab with a single coat, but the more you layer, the more WOW factor you’ll find.
Best for: Length, separation
4. Lancome Hypnose ($27): This used to be my go-to and I still think it’s a primo product. You get length, but it really works overtime in the volume department. Coat it up for serious, dramatic eyes and it still comes off pretty easily when the time comes. You may run into some clumping, so an eyelash brush is good to have on hand. The Hypnose Drama Instant Full Body is also a solid choice and gives va-va-volume with a single stroke (great for tiny lashes).
Best for: Volume
5. Diorshow ($25): You can’t do a best mascara roundup without including the famed, beloved Diorshow. Another favorite of celebs and models, the powerful formula goes on smooth and delivers dramatic, dark, and voluminous lashes. It does look best after a few coats, and you can achieve an even more intense look when you layer Diorshow with Diorshow Black Out. My only beef with the Black Out is that it’s a bitch to take off and there’s black smear everywhere during the process. And the thick brush isn’t ideal for bottom lashes.
Best for: Volume, darkness, drama
Some other choice tubes that didn’t make the Top 5 are Benefit They’re Real!, Tarte Lights, Camera, Lashes!, Lancome Definicils, and Clinique High Impact Extreme Volume. For tips and tricks for longer, fuller lashes, click HERE. And let me know your favorite with a comment below!
Long live long lashes!