When I read this article titled “Half-Marathon Runner Passes Time On Her Run by Taking Selfies With Hot Guys“, I was like, WAIT A MINUTE. Half-marathon? I do those! Selfies? I do those, too! Hot guys? Of course I do those!
And with the Georgia Marathon/Half-Marathon just a few days away, I knew it was fate intervening. I was going to have to selfie for 13.1 miles. I put it out there on social media–”Anyone have an extra bib number so I can follow in this glorious girl’s footsteps (literally)?”
So, being the rule breaker I am, I ran it anyway.* And I have to say…while I set out on my selfie journey, I realized just how impressive that chick is, and I want to know her strategy of how she pinpointed all those certified hotties then ran up in front of them and snapped a CLEAR picture whilst in motion!? I mean, one thing that made it easier is that she was in NYC and there are hotter guys in the Northeast so the odds were in her favor. YEAH I SAID IT.
I decided to make my selfie half-marathon more about the experience (mainly because I don’t have her mad skillz).
Behold, the Georgia Half-Marathon in 20 selfies:
2. The ‘Just Put My Earphones In and Started Blasting Zedd into my Eardrums’ Selfie
5. The ‘Thank God I Went to the Bathroom Right Before the Race Started Because Those Porta Potties are EW!‘ Selfie
Also, a ‘Barely a Selfie’ Selfie.
6. The ‘OMG My Friend Is Handing Out Water!!!’ Selfie
8. The ‘NFL Cheerleaders are Cheering Just for Me’ Selfie
10. The ‘Mile 8, Should I Just Stop Right Now and Drink?” Selfie
13. The ‘Please Rescue Me’ SelfieWhen I was running by, one of the firemen said, “Get that beach body, girl!” And I was all, Shit I am going to the beach in two weeks. Then took off
And speaking of…
15. The ‘Atlanta’s Iconic Street Performer Baton Bob‘ Selfie
A.K.A. The #BlowTheWhistle Selfie. (And is that necklace Stella & Dot?)
18. The ‘Only Hot Guy I Could Snap a Decent Picture Of’ Selfie
19. The ‘Is This Shit Over Yet?’ Selfie
20. The Finish Line #LipSyncSelfie
And a special bonus….
If you want to know how I did, I finished in about 2:20 (in my previous half-marathons, I did 2:05 and 2:11). I had plenty of energy, but my knees were screaming at me from mile 7 on (because I didn’t train and I’m 30 now), so I had to take some stretching and walking breaks (and of course, that Advil and near champagne break). Afterward, I crushed brunch at Parish, then laid on the couch, iced my knees, and watched CrazySexyCool: The TLC Story on VH1, which is basically my favorite movie now.
‘Til the next selfie journey…
*And to all the folks who have too much time on their hands and posted ridiculous hate comments below, trolled me on social media, etc,: A) Thanks for the pageviews. B) Here you go. Enjoy.