In case you didn’t know, Chelsea Handler is my #1 idol and inspiration. I think she is so incredibly talented, down-to-earth, and a genuinely good person. We share the same passion for vodka (and alcohol in general), our dogs look alike, AND we have the same middle name, Joy. Her hilarity and comedic genius go without saying.
But I think we all know she’s had her fair share of style snafus on the show (seriously, sometimes I thought her stylist was f*cking with her), but last night was the first time I saw a beauty blunder like this:
I feel like there should be 234820934 little butterfly clips nestled in the back. Or…maybe there are?! And is there a cornrow situation happening? I can’t even…
Now, I am all about a messy updo and even the headband accent (duh, remember this post?), but this is just baffling. I mean, maybe it would have been acceptable in the ’90s…on a middle school girl. Here’s a video clip so you can get the full effect:
If Chelsea hadn’t washed her hair in a few days (like I roll), they could have dry shampooed it and put it in a sleek pony. Or a bun. Or a braid. Or a Topsy Tail. Or ANYTHING but this. Maybe it will come out that this disaster was on purpose and the joke’s on us. Maybe her hair person was high. Maybe Chelsea was drunk and insisted on this style. Maybe she’s taking beauty tips from Brad Wollack. Maybe Chuy did her ‘do (I actually think that might be it).
Whatever the case, it doesn’t make me love her any less. I just wish I could have been there to intervene. Chels, just say the word and we’ll gladly move Witty + Pretty HQ to L.A. in your time of need. I hear the vodka country is beautiful this time of year.
What happened yesterday in Oklahoma is heartbreaking–the lives lost, the destruction, people’s homes and all their belongings gone in minutes. MINUTES. This quote in a CNN article really shook me: Monday night, Steve Wilkerson, whose home was destroyed, carried what few belongings he could find in a laundry basket. ”I still can’t believe this is happening,” he said. “You work 20 years, and then it’s gone in 15 minutes.”
I can’t even begin to imagine.
And of course Facebook and Twitter is abuzz with people “praying for Oklahoma” and sharing articles with awful photos. But guess what? That doesn’t do a thing to help our fellow citizens who have been stricken with disaster. I’m not going to preach, but I will say there are many ways to help, even just by sending a quick text. Here’s an article listing some of the efforts you can support. Research which are best, ask around, or just pick one (or a few) that speak to you. So easy…
Obviously, there are much more impactful things we can do, but every little bit counts. And now that you’ve actually helped, you can hashtag prayers on Twitter all day long.
The Hangout Music Festival is this weekend and I could not be more excited. It’s the “luxury” music fest for us gals who don’t exactly love camping, dirt/mud, and not showering. It takes place ON THE BEACH (like, the stages are on the sand right next to the ocean), and you stay in waterfront houses/condos instead of muggy tents or crowded RVs (gross). The lineup this year is incredible; Tom Petty is one of my all-time favorites, as are Kings of Leon (YES, I loved them before they went “mainstream” and started attracting concertgoers in Ed Hardy T-shirts). And there are so many other incredible acts like The Black Crowes, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, The Shins, Ellie Goulding, Jim James, Passion Pit, Kendrick Lamar, Shovels and Rope, and more. Oh, and Stevie Wonder. I mean…whaaaa?
Here’s a Spotify playlist of 100+ songs featuring the best of the Hangout 2013 musicians and bands. You can listen via the player below (use the small arrow on the side on the play stream to skip songs), or click this link to open online.
See you on the beach (or at least in spirit)!
Photo by Dave Vann
Hallelujah, the BEYOND-HIGHLY-ANTICIPATED Great Gatsby comes out today and it just might be the must-see movie of the year for a number of reasons, five of them being…
1. The fashion. I die. You die. We all die and want to time travel back to the Roaring Twenties and wear those amazing outfits, jewelry, and head pieces. The fashion in this movie just makes everything we wear look freaking stupid. I hate my clothes now.
Courtesy of WhoWhatWear:
2. Leo. Duh. I’m not a hardcore Leo obsessor, but I do think he’s hot and I ALSO think this is the hottest we will ever see him. The whole mysterious, intelligent, powerful, party-throwing guy is just beyond sexy. And from the previews, I think we’re going to get a soaking-wet-makeout-scene a la The Notebook…
3. The rap album. Er, I mean soundtrack. I kid; it does have some rap jams on it (hello, Jay Z), but it’s a killer mix of badass tunes. I especially love Lana Del Rey’s “Young and Beautiful” (listen on Spotify here), Emeli Sande covering “Crazy In Love,” and Jack White’s ”Love is Blindness.” You can find it on iTunes; not on Spotify….yet.
4. The parties. I’ve never been to a bash like the ones in this movie and neither have you because like, they don’t exist (if they ever really did). But at the very least, seeing this movie will get you in the spirit to go out and enjoy a cocktail (or seven) and party like it’s 1922 (except boozing will be legal).
And the last but certainly not least reason to see The Great Gatsby movie is….
5. You actually read the book!
If you haven’t, that’s just embarrassing. I wouldn’t admit that to anyone. And you should also question your so-called “education.”
Now get ye to the theater and feel free to sneak in booze, Prohibition-style. It’s totally allowed for this flick…
In case you weren’t aware…
Ashley + Justin