I have worn the same style of Nike running shoe since 2008 (seriously, I think I’ve gone through 11 pairs), so it was a big step (no pun intended) to try something new. But I’ve been hearing about and seeing Newtons amongst the Atlanta fitness crowd (plus Flywheel founder Ruth swears by them), so last week, I got my feet into the Motion (pictured at top).
And…I’m officially obsessed (and not just because they’re way cute).
Here’s why Newtons are superior running shoes:
1. They’re super light and comfortable. It’s like running on air with no shoes on at all (but don’t try that at home).
2. They have bounce. Well, technically it’s called Action/Reaction technology–”highly responsive and engaging cushioning that protects and loses less energy with every step” unlike EVA foam, gel, or air in other running shoes that lose energy and responsiveness over time. I definitely feel like I’m being propelled forward more than my former sneakers could do.
3. They make you run like you’re supposed to. “Newtons are designed with a minimal “drop” – or height difference – between the height of the heel and the ball of the foot. A more level-to-the-ground platform positions you to support a natural running motion.”
4. The outersoles and laces are made with recycled materials and there’s anti-friction and anti-bacterial technology built into the sockliner for a cleaner, comfier run.
5. Did I mention how cute they are? The bright colors automatically put pep in your step.
Yes, they may be a tad pricier than your Nikes or Asics ($125-$175) but if you’re a serious (or semi-serious) runner, it’s so worth it and you’ll notice they last significantly longer because of all that fancy technology. Also, you’ll probably run faster (MAJOR SCORE), but FYI: You may feel some slight soreness after your first few runs in your Newtons because you’re strengthening muscles, tendons, ligaments, and bones that may not have been as active before (I definitely could feel it in my shin area) so don’t go balls-to-the-wall on your first outing. Read more about the Newton strengthening experience HERE.
For those of you in Atlanta: My favorite shop for workout/lifestyle gear, DEKA, is home to the first and only Newton “Shop In Shop”, which means they exclusively sell Newtons and have a very extensive selection with a knowledgeable staff to fit you into your perfect pair. And this Wednesday, May 1, they’re having a par-tay with Newton co-founder Danny Abshire (I want to give that guy a big thank you hug) with complimentary Vixen Vodka cocktails (hello, magic words), healthy snacks, giveaways for TWO pairs of Newtons, and a fab shwag bag (including a limited edition, Retro brand Newton tee) with a $20 donation to Trickle Up, a foundation aimed at breaking the cycle of extreme poverty. Check out the Facebook event and I hope see you there, trying on (and maybe winning!) Newtons with a cocktail in hand (duh).
Get ready, friends. I’m about to profess my undying love.
For a workout, not a guy. (C’mon, you know me better than that.)
If you read this blog, you know how obsessed I am with Flywheel Sports. The Atlanta location opened a little over a year ago and I’ve been going regularly ever since (and mind you, it’s clear across town from my apartment). I truly found the fitness routine that makes me WANT to work out, that I get excited to go to (seriously…even in the morning), and the best part: That has sculpted my bod like I didn’t think possible. Don’t get me wrong: I’m not Gisele (yet) but I’m pleased with the way I look and swimsuit shopping this year didn’t make me want to hang myself in the fitting room with a bikini strap.
You can read ALL about Flywheel in my blog post HERE, but the quick and
dirty sweaty is that the indoor cycling is an intense, competitive (only if you want it to be), major calorie-burning workout with amazing instructors, music, AND a brief but challenging arm weight routine for total body training.
We’re all smiles below (I’m in the middle with Atlanta instructors Cara, left, and Kelsey, right) but when you’re in class sprinting at a high resistance, there’s certainly more gritting than grinning.
Disclaimer: Don’t try this with your weights during class…
(This was also after back-to-back wheel + barre for Cara and me. #Sweatfest)
The other component of Flywheel is Flybarre, which is a core-meets-weight-training-meets-cardio-dance class that will totally transform your arms, abs, butt, and legs. When you combine the two workouts, you can truly achieve the physique of your dreams (told y’all I was going to get all lovestruck and cheesy up in here).
Burning off your booty is serious business…
But don’t just take it from me: Take it from the 23482034 friends (ok, maybe a few less than that) who I’ve turned on to Flywheel and are now addicted PLUS all the celebs who frequent the place. I took class with Jake Gyllenhaal (so hot) a few times when he was in Atlanta filming recently and once, he was on the bike directly behind me. Yes, I worked harder and thought about how my ass looked since it was in his face for 45 minutes. No, I didn’t look over my shoulder and wink. (But only because I can’t wink without looking like I’m having a face spasm.)
Now about those giveaways! I have TWO five-packs of classes (value: $160 in NYC/$125 in all other cities) to give away and they can be used for either Flywheel or Flybarre in ANY market (New York, Chicago, Atlanta, Los Angeles, Charlotte, Seattle, Philly, Miami/Boca, Dallas, and Plano). To enter, go to the Witty + Pretty Facebook page and SHARE the post about this Flywheel giveaway and tag the Flywheel location you would attend (make sure to tag/link it, not just write the name of the location). Maybe you just want to share it and tag “Flywheel Philadelphia.” Maybe you want to type a little message in your share like, “Can’t wait to see you, Flywheel Los Angeles!” Or maybe you want to write a full-on love confession about Flywheel Atlanta like I have just done and put it on their page for all to see. The contest ends at 5 p.m. on Friday and two winners will be picked at random. Dudes (if any of you are reading), feel free to enter, too!
You’ll want to Fly away.
Note: Your first Flywheel and Flybarre classes are FREE, so if you haven’t tried it yet, there’s your perfect excuse! Create an account in your city and you’ll see one credit for Flywheel you can use to book a class. You won’t see a Flybarre credit, but call or visit the location and tell them it’s your first time and they’ll hook you up.
…and plumbers’ crack…and drawing attention to your problem areas with the loudest prints ever…
PRESENTING: Tracy Anderson’s workout pants!
I took one look at these RIDICULOUSLY LOW RISE cropped leggings ($60) and two words came to mind: MUFFIN. TOP.
However, if you read the description, it states “Smooth, wide waistband–absolutely no muffin top” not once…but twice. Typo? Or just trying to drill that blatant lie into the consumer’s brain even more? You be the judge.
Unless you have a physique like Tracy and .0001% body fat, these pants will maximize any semblance of love handles you have, expose your butt crack the second you even slightly bend at the waist or stretch your body, and make you look, well, in a word, ridiculous. Bright plaid!? Polka dots!? Seriously, you guys. Polka. Dots. I mean, I’d like to see Tracy’s bestie Gwyneth Paltrow rock these fitness freakshows.
I can’t speak on what the camel toe factor would be (more on that HERE), but I think with one wrong move, your whole vajay would be on display.
Sorry Tracy. You may have been better off just making straight-up see-through pants like Lululemon.
Photo from racked.com
The beauty and fitness Gods were smiling (make that grinning from ear to ear) on Atlanta when they placed Flywheel Sports right next to Drybar. Which means you can do a little dance we like to call “fly and dry”–get your sweaty spin on, then walk next door and let someone else wash and blow dry your hair (after showering at Flywheel with the in-house Bliss products, of course). See, everyone? Atlanta IS an incredible city, despite what you see on The Real Housewives.
A friend recently axed me, oops I mean ASKED me (sorry, I was still in Real Housewives mode) if there was a blowout bar similar to Drybar in Charlotte, so I researched and came across a gem called Re Salon and MedSpa. It’s not too shabs:
Like Drybar, there is a menu of styles named after cocktails like the Dirty Martini, Cosmopolitan, and Sex on the Beach (that would be my choice, obvi) and they serve complimentary beer and wine (so factor that into the $40 price tag). The girls were celebrating a 30th birthday and agreed this was a fab way to pre-party. Check out their lovely lady locks:
Gorge. Charlotte girls, get your rear to Re!
As for Flywheel, click HERE if you’re not familiar with its amazingness, and note that the first class is FREE for newbies. Charlotte has TWO locations (lucky b*tches), and while they may not neighbor blowout bars, they have a pretty solid thing going on up there in North Carolina (c’mon and raise up) from what I found via Facebook:
Apparently, this happened Monday night for The Bachelor premiere (recap here):
Um, I went to Flywheel on Monday night and I didn’t get a rose. And to add insult to injury, those guys are hot. (But in ATL’s defense, we do have Tim Tebow.)
Wait. Is that a bottle of wine I see?
I think it’s about time for a road trip. Let’s fly (and dry) away.
Live in/have friends in Charlotte! Spread the Witty + Pretty word (pretty please?) and let me know about any awesome stuff I should cover with a comment or on Facebook!
Happy 2013, beautiful people! Have you recovered from New Year’s Eve yet? (I just did.) Witty + Pretty DID take a holiday break, but we’re back and have lots of badass beauty booty planned for 2013. First up: RESOLUTIONS. You know, like…Lose 20 pounds. Find a sugar daddy. Stop chewing Nicorette. Pay off your Nordstrom bill. Start using contraceptives.
I kid. But seriously, I do like to set intentions, goals, and make promises to myself that I (try to) keep in the new year. As The Big 3-0 approaches (let the six-month countdown begin), aging and taking better care of myself in general are on my mind. Here’s a list of my beauty/wellness-related plans for 2013 and maybe they can inspire you in the quest to stay forever young (PREACH it, Jay-Z).
1. Take makeup off every night. As my friend Nikky put it recently, “The longer makeup stays on your skin, the more it creeps into your pores and makes them bigger and ages you.” Thanks for that terrifying visual, girl. I’m usually good about it, but I’m keeping these Neutrogena wipes by the bed for those especially
drunken lazy nights.
2. Get enough sleep. This article titled “A Scientific Explanation of Why We Look Like Shit When We’re Tired” shook me to my core because I definitely do not get enough Zs. Read it. Weep. Go to bed at 9 p.m. tonight.
3. Take vitamins. I need to get back in the habit (Sister Act 2 style) of taking a women’s multivitamin daily and remember to pop Omega 3 capsules (for hair, skin, and healthy eyes) if I haven’t been feasting on enough fish. I’m also considering stocking my cabinet with some items from this helpful DailyCandy video featuring the lovely ladies of Sakara Life.
4. Book a dermatologist appointment for a full body check. Have I been avoiding this because I’m scared what the results might be after years of careless sunbathing? Yup. Time to face the
5. Clean makeup brushes. First of all, I just need to just toss my old, dirty ones and start from scratch. Then I need to keep them clean with this stuff from Sephora. Ugh. I’m already annoyed.
6. Exfoliate body regularly. I scrub my mug on the reg, but sometimes forget about the bod. But it’s so important to slough off dead skin for silky smoothness. I die for the sugar scrub at Sweet Peach (for you Atlanta gurls), but am also obsessed with Origins Incredible Spreadable Smoothing Ginger body scrub (which doubles as a cleanser).
7. Wear sunscreen every day (and don’t neglect the ears). This is easy if there’s sunscreen in your moisturizer/BB cream/whatever (WHICH THERE SHOULD BE!), but do you make a point to lube up your lobes? I’m just saying—if you put your hair in a pony, those things are exposed like whoa. My ears basically look like a 90-year-old man’s from years of SPF neglect. Gross.
8. Stop stressing so much. Stress ages you, makes your hair fall out, and weakens your immune system. Basically, it’s the beauty ANTICHRIST. I am vowing to not let little things get to me, always work through the “big things” with a “what’s meant to be will be” mentality, and remember to take deep breaths every once in a while. That should be a good start.
9. Use a retinol serum daily. When the dirty thirty is around the corner, it’s time to bring in the big girl wrinkle fighter (read: retinol). I just purchased RoC’s Deep Wrinkle Serum and if it actually works (ie. I see an improvement in my eye region), it will be a MF’ing miracle because it’s affordable ($22ish) and I can buy it at the drugstore.
10. Break a sweat every day. Dr. Sanjay Gupta says to do this to stay healthy (glow included) and I don’t argue with him. I work out four or five days a week, but on the off days, I’m vowing to break a sweat even it means dancing around in my apartment to the new Ke$ha album (it’s amazing, trust). And yes, sex counts.
It’s going to be a good year.
I’d love to hear your 2013 intentions! Tell me in a comment or on Facebook!