I’ve owned (and drunkenly lost) many a pair of flip-flops, specifically Havaianas. They’re cute, they’re stylish, and they say “I’m a cool chick.” But they are NOT the most comfortable shoes on the planet (admit it!), and with a completely flat sole and no give, they’re not the best for your feet either. We have to take care of our soles, sisters. They’re the only ones we got.
Well I have found the most comfortable flip-flops ever: The Reef Stargazer ($27; promo code at the bottom of this post).
Reefs are better for your feet in general because of their structure, especially if you have a high arch as many styles provide the extra support. I used to have and love these Mallory flops, but lost them in a freak vodka accident. But the Stargazer is just incredible. The squishy, supportive sole is BEYOND comfy (read: you can walk all day long in them and not want to die). You don’t have to clench or strain your feet to keep them from slipping–they stay on perfectly so you can walk naturally. And over time, you’ll notice them molding to your feet for even more enjoyable wear. The thin straps are coated for comfort (read: no blistering and/or between-the-toes sores) AND they are sparkly in an understated, classy-not-trashy way.
And brides-to-be: Get a load of the wedding style.
Snag a pair for yourself (or hint to your bridesmaids), then gift the girls with the Stargazer in rose gold so they can dance the night away at your reception in sparkly comfort.
**Use promo code FF30 for 30% off! Also, a tip from a reader to try: Use the code REEFSHIP for free shipping. It calculates the free shipping after you enter your shipping info, so you might have to enter them a couple of times. And if you use PayPal, wait to select PayPal until after you enter all your info instead of selecting it immediately as a shortcut. If you select PayPal right away, you wont be able to enter promo codes.
Who better to chat beachwear with than a designer of one of the coolest, most celeb-beloved, flattering lines on the swim scene? Pooja Kharbanda is behind the to-die-for suits, coverups, rompers, dresses, etc. of 6 Shore Road, which means she has major style and expertise on what looks hot in the heat. Get to know her, her drink of choice, must-have beauty products, and more. Plus, she shares which suits look best on your bod…
You’ve lived and traveled all over the world. What is your favorite coastal locale?
Panama–Isla Grande beach. Amazing clear water, underdeveloped beach shacks, and local pineapple mixed drinks.
Um, I’m about to get on a plane right now. Speaking of drinks, what is your cocktail of choice?
Starfruit and coconut margarita on the rocks.
I’m a Ray-Ban gal myself. So, how do you pull off “resort wear” in a city that’s NOT by the water (ahem, Atlanta) without looking stupid?
I love to pair platforms with the Malay romper or booties with the Isla Verde mini dress. Or throw on a baseball cap and wedge sneakers with the Angelfish pants and a tank. The Monsoon maxi is so easy to wear at the beach and in the city.
Well, what do you know, I happen to own the fab Malay Romper ($115) and was thinking it would pair perfectly with platform wedges.
(PS, I don’t know how you fashion bloggers do it. I could barely keep a straight face long enough to “model” for these pics in Everything But Water.)
What are some of your favorite pieces in this season’s collection? Any you’ve found to be EXTRA flattering on women?
Bocas swimsuit–flattering for gals with boobs or flat-chested. And the high-waist bottom hides the little tummy pouch. Juju bikini–the embroidered band under the bust adds a little something special and accentuates the upper body, and the low rider string bikini elongates your body.
Since we’re talking music festivals, don’t read any further unless you’ve seen this:
I love The Obesity Epidemic. Such amazing energy. Can’t believe I missed them at Bonnaroo last year.
So I’m en route to the Hangout Music Festival as we speak (#ThankYouHotspot) and am super pumped to wear a hippie headband, some sort of obnoxious fringe getup, and impractical hipster boots whilst waving my hands in the air and swaying to the righteous tunes.
Here are the real items essential for the best fest experience:
1. Flowy/sheer/crocheted top of some sort. You can wear it over a pretty bra or bikini top for a Bohemian look that’s airy and comfortable. The blouse pictured is from Calypso St. Barth, but Free People has my favorite selection of Boho duds.
2. Jorts. Duh. They’re a staple for music festivals. The more worn-in, the better.
3. Comfortable/practical footwear. Girls that wear heels/high wedges for festivals…I can’t even. If it’s sandal weather, choose a pair you’ve already broken in so they won’t give you blisters or pinch pain, and some sort of support is ideal. I love Havaianas, but they suck for being on your feet all day. My Cole Haan Grove sandals (pictured) with cushy, supportive soles are made for walkin’. If it’s raining, consider there might be mud and you’ll need rain boots, which coincidentally, look awesome with distressed denim shorts.
4. Sunglasses. Another no-brainer. I’m currently lusting for these thick cat-eye Wayfarers. Meow.
5. Something to carry your sh*t. For a fest, you gotta’ go crossbody or backpack (or fanny pack, of course). You don’t want a purse slinging around while you’re trying to wave your hands in the air like you just don’t care. This Navajo-print bag from South Moon Under is festival fab.
6. Fouta. Not to be confused with a FUPA, these European throws act as compact and cute blankets to sit on AND you can even find some that work as scarves/wraps like my obsessions at Huff Harrington Home for $42 (seriously, they’re amazing and I keep buying them in different colors–read more HERE).
7. Sunscreen. Do you want gross, painful sunburn? Maybe some skin cancer? How about both? When you’re outside for hours on end, you’ve gotta SPF it up, especially on your face (nose and forehead, especially). Coola organic suncare is my absolute fave (more on sun essentials next week) and this SPF 30 for face with a matte finish prettifies your complexion while protecting it.
8. Freshening towelettes. If it’s hot, you’ll feel gross by day’s end (or middle). Use cleansing wipes on your face, neck, arms, legs, etc. to make yourself feel fresh again. Even baby wipes work wonders.
9. Undercover flask. I’m not suggesting you break the rules. Okay, yes I am. You may as well try to sneak in alcohol in a flask that looks like binoculars, an iPhone, or camera to save yourself a couple $27 drinks. Or you could put vodka in a water bottle, wrap it in your fouta, and hope for the best. It’s worked for me (ssshhhh)….
10. GoGirl. Disclaimer: I’ve never used this. But if you’re weird about urinating in a porta potty and/or outdoors, this hygienic invention could help your situation by letting you pee like you have a D.
Now you’re ready for some good, clean fun.
Hallelujah, the BEYOND-HIGHLY-ANTICIPATED Great Gatsby comes out today and it just might be the must-see movie of the year for a number of reasons, five of them being…
1. The fashion. I die. You die. We all die and want to time travel back to the Roaring Twenties and wear those amazing outfits, jewelry, and head pieces. The fashion in this movie just makes everything we wear look freaking stupid. I hate my clothes now.
Courtesy of WhoWhatWear:
2. Leo. Duh. I’m not a hardcore Leo obsessor, but I do think he’s hot and I ALSO think this is the hottest we will ever see him. The whole mysterious, intelligent, powerful, party-throwing guy is just beyond sexy. And from the previews, I think we’re going to get a soaking-wet-makeout-scene a la The Notebook…
3. The rap album. Er, I mean soundtrack. I kid; it does have some rap jams on it (hello, Jay Z), but it’s a killer mix of badass tunes. I especially love Lana Del Rey’s “Young and Beautiful” (listen on Spotify here), Emeli Sande covering “Crazy In Love,” and Jack White’s ”Love is Blindness.” You can find it on iTunes; not on Spotify….yet.
4. The parties. I’ve never been to a bash like the ones in this movie and neither have you because like, they don’t exist (if they ever really did). But at the very least, seeing this movie will get you in the spirit to go out and enjoy a cocktail (or seven) and party like it’s 1922 (except boozing will be legal).
And the last but certainly not least reason to see The Great Gatsby movie is….
5. You actually read the book!
If you haven’t, that’s just embarrassing. I wouldn’t admit that to anyone. And you should also question your so-called “education.”
Now get ye to the theater and feel free to sneak in booze, Prohibition-style. It’s totally allowed for this flick…
It’s Friday, which means time to skip out of work early and get your hands on the first alcoholic beverage you can find, but it also means the Witty + Pretty Week o’ Giveaways is coming to an end (waaaahh!). I’m sad, too. I felt like Oprah this week, just on a smaller scale (both with prizes and body size). Maybe next year I’ll be giving away cars; you never know…
Today’s giveaway is from my very favorite store, South Moon Under. I’ve been shopping at the Northeast-based boutique since high school, when all I could afford was a Michael Stars tee with my babysitting money. They have the best selection of clothing, swimwear, shoes, jewelry, handbags, home accessories, and more from the likes of Free People, Rebecca Minkoff, Splendid, Ella Moss, Hudson, French Connection, Susana Monaco, House of Harlow, Dolce Vita, L*Space, etc. etc. etc. AND they’re always doing online discounts (plus there’s free shipping for orders over $100).
But let’s talk about these items and how we all need to be on the beach wearing them like, right now. You can win the Gypsy 05 Paolo Ombre Fringe Coverup ($86) in blue or coral, DV by Dolce Vita Ayden sandal ($70) in black or white (and yes, in your size), and the yellow Aztec canvas tote ($40).
I mean, I’m kind jealous of you gals who win. That coverup is badass, the sandals are perfection, and the too-cute tote transitions easily from sand to regular land (you could even carry it as your personal item when traveling to a tropical destination and not look like a douchey tourist).
To win, click over to the Witty + Pretty Facebook page and SHARE the post on this giveaway. Extra cool points if you tag South Moon Under’s FB page. The winners will be picked at random and the contest ends today (Friday), at 5 p.m.
Now about that cocktail….
**There is going to be ONE more giveaway next week, only available to Witty + Pretty subscribers so if you’re interested in seeing what it’s all about (trust me, it’s good!), sign up using the form to your right. I’ll never sell your email address (unless I get offered like, $8 million or spam you (unless you’re into that sort of thing).**