I love traveling in the summer because I can pack way too many clothes and shoes and it all still fits in my carry-on. In the winter, you pack one sweater and two pairs of boots and have to spend half your vacay booze budget to check your monstrosity of a suitcase.
But when you carry on, you know the dilemma (like I have to tell you): Liquids. Oh, I can never forget the day in 2006 when I was unaware that the liquid law was in place and watched in horror as a TSA agent tossed about $300 in fancy hair products, makeup, and perfume right in front of my face. I called my mom crying.
Anyway. I’m in NYC right now and in the middle of my “high travel season,” so I thought it appropriate to share (what I think are) some of the best beauty products that are under three ounces, fit nicely in a stupid plastic sandwich bag, and serve a purpose while you’re jet-setting.
Pack it up, pack it in, let me begin.
1. Bliss Sinkside Six-Pack (1 oz. each): You know I love six packs of all kinds. In this handy kit, you get Bliss’ amazing face wash, shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, soap slab, and body lotion. Pack it all or swap something out with another essential (no offense, Bliss, but I don’t need soap and shower gel). And you can carry on the plastic zip case it comes in (I just proved it), so no need to transfer the goods to a stupid sandwich bag. $25
2. Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer (.4 oz.): This must-have product can be used alone or under foundation, gives your skin a gorgeous glow, plus it comes in an adorable baby tube. How can you resist? $17
3. HollyBeth’s Natural Luxury Organic Toner (2 oz.): I pass out the second I get on a plane and often wake up feeling dehydrated, groggy, and not so fresh-faced. A few spritzes of this organic toner wakes you up, gives you just enough moisture, and energizes you with its delicious scent (I prefer the rose geranium as I have dryer skin; if you’re oily, go with marigold). And you can skip your morning face wash and just use this (as long as you cleansed the night before). $12.50
4. Burt’s Bees Facial Towelettes (30 count): Clean your face and get your makeup off…without water? Whaaaa? Yes, you can do it with these convenient wipes (ugh, I hate that word) that leave your face feeling fresh thanks to the white tea extract. If you’re wearing a lot of foundation/bronzer/blush, plan on using two. $6, available at CVS and other drug stores
5. Supergoop! Sunscreen Set: You have to protect that gorgeous skin and keep those lips kissable when the sun is shining. I remember Spring Break 2K4 in the Bahamas when I didn’t use SPF on my lips and by the end of the week the pain and blistering was so bad, I couldn’t even make out with randoms. But I digress. Check out Supergoop’s steal of a travel set—SPF 40 lotion for face and body plus a soothing, minty SPF 30 lip balm perfect for a makeout sesh on the sand. $20, store locations online
6. Oscar Blandi Dry Shampoo (1 oz.): If you don’t have time to wash and style your hair while traveling the world (or East coast, whichever) and/or need more volume and less oily scalp, Oscar Blandi is the best in the biz. Work into your roots and BOOM: No more grease, girl. $11
7. Bliss That’s Incredi-‘peel’ Pads (30 count): That’s right—more Bliss! These babies take up zero room in your bag and give you a facial effect overnight due to “spa-strength exfoliating glycolic acid,” soothing witch hazel, and hydrating glycerine. Don’t expect it to feel like a miracle is happening on your skin right away—it’s cool and invigorating like a really good toner, but the effects happen overnight. You’ll notice softer skin and visible improvements in tone and texture after just a few uses. $49 for a box
Safe travels, ladies! And remember, if TSA is going to violate you in any way, let it be a pat-down, not stealing your beauty products.