SUMMER IS HERE, BISHES! (Screw a calendar; it starts after Memorial Day). This means sun, fun, vodka, beach vacays, tan skin, Katy Perry, margaritas, maxi dresses, pool parties, patios, and more vodka. But it also means a style refreshment should be on tap. If you take the time right now to get your wardrobe summer-ready, the rest of the season will be smooth sailing when figuring out what to wear.
Here are some tips, broken down into closet cleaning (EW!) and shopping (YAY!).
1. Have a summer playlist for the task. Cleaning/updating/organizing your closet is enough to make you LITERALLY die. Before you even begin, put on some tunes to get you excited for summer. Lucky for you, I have just the playlist, courtesy of the one-and-only Cara Weaver (Flywheel/fitness instructor and secret DJ extraordinaire).
2. Stay hydrated and caffeinated. For the record, any sort of seasonal cleaning IS considered cardio. Aside from water (and vodka), I have found the perfect refreshment for the task–Bottled Starbucks® Iced Coffee. I just discovered this magical beverage (at the gas station closest to my house FOR THE WIN), and it’s definitely my new obsession for the summer. It tastes just like the iced coffee you’d order at Starbucks, has 100ish calories a bottle (the low-cal option has 50), and has a cap so if you don’t drink it all, you can save it for later (like that’s ever going to happen).
3. Throw stuff away to make room for new stuff. You gotta’ do it. You know there are things in your wardrobe you haven’t worn since the 2010s and some little old lady would just die to find them on the rack at Goodwill. I get overwhelmed if I try to purge a bunch of clothes at once, so I usually go in once a season and do some tossing. Recently, I got rid of a bunch of dresses I had been holding onto for some reason. It felt good.
4. Make the switch. If you have a massive walk-in closet where you can keep all your clothes for every season in prominent view all year round, then go f*ck yourself. No offense. But most regular people need to make some sort of switch with their summer and winter attire, even if it means just putting the long sleeves and sweaters to the back (to the back) and moving the teeny tiny tanks up front. This task is so annoying, but once you take an hour or two and make the switch, it makes getting ready so much easier. So just do it. And treat yourself to a margarita (or five) afterward.
And now that the BS is over, the fun part….
1. Splurge on something you’re excited about. I’m all about shopping on a budget (H&M, Zara, Target, etc.), but I have to admit I love the
runner’s shopper’s high of making the decision to BALL OUT (sorta’) on something and going for it. The past couple years, it has been swimwear. Last year, I purchased the best one-piece ever and this year, snagged myself a Trina Turk suit.
2. Buy a few pieces you can wear with already existing items in your closet. No need to empty your checking account on a whole new wardrobe—pick an outfit you wore last summer, then remove one component and purchase something new to replace it. I picked up this simple (but awesome) Topshop “vest” to go with a maxi skirt and printed pants I already owned. If you want a top that’s technically cropped but won’t show your entire stomach (uh, no thanks), I highly recommend this gem. I also think Gap shorts (this colorblocked pair especially) are a must for casual days. Throw ‘em on with a tee or tank AND SCENE.
3. Make sure your undergarments are up to snuff. (Who says up to snuff?) This year, I realized it was time for a nice strapless bra; I have never owned one I really loved. So I went to Intimacy (one of my happy places) and fell in love with the very first one I tried on. This Simone Perele brassiere is hands down the most perfect strapless ever created—supportive and stays firmly in place, gives you a lift, is so comfortable, and so pretty with a lace band. Sometimes…I wear it even when I don’t need a strapless (crazy, I know). And while you’re at it, pick up a pair or two of fun, colorful panties.
4. ACCESSORIZE. You can make an old outfit look totally different with the right accessories. Take a pair of denim cut-offs and a black tank, then throw on a big-ass statement necklace like this Stella & Dot stunner and you’re immediately fancy-fied.
And now we’re ready to party.
Bottled Starbucks Iced Coffee beverages are the perfect blend of premium Starbucks coffee and 2 percent milk. Available in four delicious offerings: Coffee + Milk, Low Calorie Coffee + Milk, Vanilla, and Caramel, Starbucks Iced Coffee ready-to-drink beverages are the perfect on-the-go refreshment to get you through the daily commute, big projects such as spring cleaning, or an exciting road trip with friends. Look for it at major grocery and convenience stores, available nationwide.
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Starbucks Coffee Company via Mode Media. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Starbucks Coffee Company.